I have been sewing a lot, which means I have other things that I’m procrastinating on.
Like midterms. The surprise one that’s due in four days. And the two papers due five days after that. And registering for Spring classes in five days.
From my limited research, it appears that steel springs were used in clothing beginning sometime around 1760-1780. They don’t seem to have caught on for much other than garters, which they were used for through the 19th century. The Kyoto Costume Institute has a pair of 1790s transitional stays with springs in them, but they’re the only pair I’ve ever seen.
So late 18th century springy garters are cool. I’ve wanted to make a pair for a long time, and just last weekend was given two lengths of spring suitable for them. Of course they had to happen.
I sewed two pieces of cream silk taffeta in little channels, leaving about 1/4″ edges for ruffles.
I sewed the springs to pieces of cotton tape.
Put the silk over them,
Then I cut larger pieces of the same silk and pinned them to the tape at one end, sewing the other end together.
I flipped these over and embroidered the silk in place on the tape. I used my extensive embroidery repertoire of a backstitch and a satin stitch.
And here’s where I left them last night: Mostly embroidered up, except for whatever I want to put in the cartouches. Maybe my initials, I don’t know. I’m pretty proud of how the embroidery came out. It’s the best I’ve ever been able to do! I’m excited to get these finished, but midterms are calling.